Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Waco fun

It has been really good to get back into the swing of things with school. it has not picked up too terrible quick just yet; my TA work isn't too bad just yet, with only a bit of grading each week so far. The reading load is pretty terrible and I have multiple papers due each week for the most part, but still not too bad. As far as the religion emphasis goes here, it is me and to girls. One is from Canada and the other is from CO.

living with the lady down by waco has been interesting so far. she is still very active and is a very outgoing lady who just loves, loves to tell stories. She also has taken to making me dinner on most nights that I am here. Typically this is the first few minutes when i get home:
me: hello!
her: hello - dinner is almost ready. I just made ... tonight, hope that is alright.
me: you really shouldn't make food for me all of the time, you already do enough by letting me stay here!
her: oh, it is just some ... and ....
me: i know but still...
her: my husband used to always....

and off she goes. takes a good 30 or more minutes to find a break in the conversation after dinner to get off to do some homework. cracks me up. So, so far we have had stir fry, baked potatoes, pork loin, and one morning she made 'just' sausage and biscuits. Oh, and one night we played a few rounds of sequence. she lives out in the country next to a really big spring-fed pond (where i can go fishing, she says) and a creek down in this little ravine right by her house. she has this little overlook on the edge of the 'cliff' by the creek which i may try and do some reading by - especially now that we are getting some days that are less than 100. i think it will work out alright living here, even if it is like 25 or so minutes out of waco still (but that beats 1hr 40 min, and the price is right!). I have been spending most of the week down here since sara is on night float right now and I wouldn't see her really at all even if i did go home.

oh yeah, and my feet hang off the end of the bed.

3 comments:

Karen Franzen said...

Oh that is so hilarious! I can just visualize the whole thing you described. It sounds like good old Texas hospitality. I'm sure she just loves having someone around to talk to and cook for. It sounds like some nice property she lives on. Intensity of homework could change all that, huh? How long is Sara on that shift?

Krista said...

Haha, way to be too tall. I'm glad you're doing alright. I'm making plans to come see you...sometime. I'll let you know.

aaron said...

she has two more weeks of night float...