The last few days I have been missing St. Louis, and that is one thing I am not sure I thought I would ever say. It is odd to me that you can arrive at a place, or see a thing, or meet a person and at first they are so deeply foreign to us, but after a bit, whether consciously or not, we take them in and some kind of mutual socialization happens. That is, a part or piece of them creates and makes a piece of us, and same with the other way around. The creation and dynamics of 'community' is a crazy thing. One of my favorite (and least favorite at the same time for different reasons) things about the world today is that we are able to have and maintain some sort of community even when the 'place' is no longer necessarily also the 'here.' The alien feeling of St. Louis seems all the less alien to me now being in the country of Texas. I wonder if St. Louis feels a little more alienated now without us in town? ha - not likely.
I miss you, Kaldi's. I miss you, Forest Park. I miss you, old apartment. I miss you, old neighborhood. I miss you, friends we made while there. I miss you, sidewalk cafes and restaurants. I miss you, free things to do. I miss you, old commute.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Looks Different From Here
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i miss it too. just told mike last night that i miss st. louis. for the same reasons as you. we miss you too.
aw. last week landon said that he missed illinois. i looked at him like he was crazy. but then yesterday i was thinking how i miss the trees and the river and running on the trail.
i like this post. a lot.
So I have to admit that I haven't looked at your blog in a good while but I just caught up and it was so fun to do so. I love your thoughts and I love your pictures.
And...we've lived here three years now and I still miss St. Louis. We miss you guys more though. When can we get together next?
I agree. I never thought I would miss St. Louis, or at least admit to it.
Post a Comment