Anyways, I sometimes think about a quote from the movie, The Great Debaters, where the father of one of the characters says to his son, "We do what we have to do so that we can do what we want to do." I think that we all often need to have that something that we are working towards or that thing (or things) that keep us going or motivated. When that is missing, I think everything just gets that much harder because there is some kind of negative correlation to felt purpose in life.
The other day at work, I was talking to the guy who cleans the office as he was taking away my trash. His name is James. Ok, I don't know his name, but I am pretty sure it is James. Just looks like one. We always talk for a couple of minutes when he comes around because the guy just loves to talk. I think he is a bit on the slow side, but just seems to love life and is always happy. The other day it was nice out and he was super excited because he would soon be able to quit this job and go back to mowing lawns all summer (he is in like his 20s or 30s). This way he is able to work when he wants to and then spend all of the rest of the time fishing.
He has talked to me multiple times now about fishing and has even offered to take me and show me some 'spots.' I was a bit struck by the fact that there are so many people out there (ok, truth be told, I thought of me and not 'so many people') who do jobs that they don't really like and can often feel trapped by them. Here was James, super happy guy, doing a job that most people would hate, and being happy in it. I am working on having a better attitude about many of the things going on in our life, even if what I am doing at this very time isn't really something that I am interested in. It isn't fishing, but I do hope to move on to the fishing soon. After all, it is spring time in our lives and I think summer is on its way.
2 comments:
reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McvCJley78A
^^ That is actually a really cool video.
Post a Comment