Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Space


Space, originally uploaded by a b franzen.

The last few days I have been thinking a bit about ecology. I think that space is a hugely important thing in our lives that we rarely stop to think about. How we are shaped as people is almost inseparable from the space in which we find ourselves. Our cognitive structures develop as a reflexive response to the space and time in which we are. This can, in a very real sense, constrain thought and choices of action, while not determining them. Expanding horizons takes on a while new meaning that way!

Anyways, this is a picture of one of the 'reading rooms' here at Baylor. Sometimes I start to be less productive in my office here so I will rotate around campus, and this is one of the places that I like to go. The decor is all what I would think classic southern decor as being. This space has an impact on me.

Last night when I was riding the motorcycle back to B's place, there were so many interesting smells. It got me to thinking about how much less of life we are able to experience merely by being in a car and not traveling in some other way. It is true you can put the windows down, but it is still significantly different than on a motorcycle. In general, everything is experienced in a completely different fashion when on a motorcycle. That 'space' has an impact on me.

The other day Sara and I were talking about being in TX a bit (small bit, and I got to thinking about it later). Being in TX is very good for what we are doing. I am less sure that TX is as good as other places for us. This space has an impact on us.

4 comments:

Krista said...

Hmm...I like it.

Sara said...

Good way to put it. Good for what we're doing, not necessarily good for us, but it is yet to be determined ;)

doons said...

actually, texas isn't good for anything.

Hannah said...

great post, aaron. i totally agree about the motorcycle!