It is a strange blessing and burden to deliver bad news to someone. Today I had to tell a family that their 4 month old child had cystic fibrosis (inherited disorder mainly affecting the lungs and GI tract/pancreas that has no cure and has a current average lifespan of 36). It was really the first time I've had to deliver bad news to someone. I guess the news could have been worse...i didn't have to tell them their child had died, or had cancer with a poor prognosis but it is still bad news. An answer, yes, which is nice as for 2 and a half weeks we really didn't know what was going on and felt like we were getting no where fixing their child, but no one truly wants an answer of an illness without a cure with a lot of morbidity.
It really is a privilege though to get to care for these patients and play an intimate part in their lives and the lives of their family. I hope as I go through residency I get a little less awkward in talking to families, but today went as well as it could. A humbling thing to have to break news like this. Just makes me realize too that I wish all my patients had the comfort of ultimate faith in God and His plan at tough times like this (and non-tough times too!) and sadness knowing that most don't and wondering how to actively make my faith a more active part of my interactions with families.
On a positive note, day off tomorrow!!! A long run with a friend, hanging out with my hubby once he gets back tomorrow afternoon, and some much needed house and car cleaning before gearing up for working ALL weekend (Saturday AM to Sunday noon....). Weather has been beautiful though, finally enjoying the Dallas sun and warm weather when others are getting snow :)
2 comments:
you are amazing. i miss you.
Add oil, Sara! (I don't know if that will help much, but it's what we say in Taiwan to encourage people, haha.) Anyway, I think you're great! :)
Post a Comment