I love Maryanne Radmacher's cards and posters. This is one of my new favorite quotes from her and one that I hope my life reflects, but I realized today that it rarely does. I am on the "save darfur" email list. I get emails every few weeks asking us to email or call some politician to show them that Americans are concerned about what is going on in Darfur or that they should vote this way or that on a bill that will affect the Sudan region. I always send the emails on, but never make the phone calls. Today I got an email encouraging us to call as there is some bill coming up. I deleted it. And then stopped and thought, why do I feel passionate about this cause when all it requires is a few clicks of the mouse, but when it requires me picking up a phone and calling some representative's secretary my passion for Darfur ends. Maybe it is because although I think the genocide is SO wrong and needs to end, I as of now am not personally affected by it, so my compassion is not yet the gut-wrenching kind that motivates extreme action. Maybe it is because I don't have faith in our political process or the process in Sudan and don't think a phone call will do any good. But ashamedly I think I fail to make the phone call because it is inconvenient. It takes more than 30 seconds to make a phone call. I also fear my ignorance that although I do care deeply about the issue, I have not taken the time to do enough research to feel that I know enough to talk intelligently to someone and tell them why they should vote this way or that. My convenient life - failing to step off the trail or sidewalk while I am running to stop and pick up a piece of litter; failing to stay 10 extra minutes after my shift ends at midnight to go tell my patients that I am off and a new doctor will be taking care of them. Simple examples of things I have caught myself not doing the past few days and later stop and wonder why I didn't take the few seconds, the tiny moment of inconvenience to do them. I'm pretty positive that there will be many more times every day when I will choose the convenient and easy way rather than the inconvenient, but something to think about and perhaps hold ourselves accountable too. As the "inconvenient life" is not really that at all, but one that makes things better in the end for others and ultimately ourselves as well, as the quote says, one that is lived to the edge of possibility. PS - Too much time in an apartment by myself makes me ponder things too much. I think it is time for Aaron to come home ;) Or for me to go on vacation in Washington....how about both!


1 comment:
this is really challenging - thanks for posting! and.... i really wish you were here. i'm taking your advice and climbing with the boys tomorrow. i'm excited.
Post a Comment