In honor of our 5 year anniversary and secondary to an extended break from work (love shift work in the ER!) we headed down to Austin for a few days. Although it was still hot and humid it was refreshing....people recycle, all the coffee shops are local and unique, my honda civic fit in rather than not quite knowing what to do among the astin martins and BMW's that surround it in Dallas, we enjoyed some awesome local cuisine and just relaxed. Maybe it is because we went in with the presumption that Austin is 'cool' and a little more "northwest-ish" but it really is a great city. We took our bikes and were fairly good at navigating most places with them, although after we got back to the hotel and showered in the afternoons AC and the car were a little more appealing! Although Dallas is (sorta) growing on us, sometimes I wonder if I should have ranked the residency program in Austin over Dallas, but no regrets - Dallas is home for the next 3.83 years and I am sure we will miss it when we (hopefully!) move. :) But don't be surprised if you visit us if we end up taking you to Austin :) We didn't take that many pictures, but here are a few.
Out on 6th street listening to some live music (figured we had to as Austin is the "live music capitol of the US", pretty happening for a Tuesday night, but I'm sure the weekends are much crazier)
Shopping and eating our way down Congress Ave - a street lined with good smells and good shops. There are all these little trailer food villages with all sorts of awesome food (well we didn't try any of it, but I am sure it was awesome)
The bats! Millions of bats fly out from this bridge at dusk every night in huge clouds. But they apparently were too sleepy or full or something the night we went to watch them. All we got was a pretty sunset and then from the bridge itself blurs of them as when they decided to come out it was too dark to see...
2 comments:
One time in a Malaysia airport I met an Indian guy from Austin and he said it's the best city in the world. His top reason was that Lance Armstrong is from there, so I didn't really believe him. Maybe he was right... Glad you had a great vacation!
that is funny... of all the reasons it is a nice city, I don't think that one would even find the list let alone get on it, ha.
Post a Comment