I was reading Simmel today and got to thinking... I wonder if it is necessarily the case that the more 'cultured' and educated a person is, they less they are able to be their self around other people. Experiences are so individual, and the more breadth one gains, the more distanced from others people are in a way. So, in order to continue to relate to other people, the more our interactions must be generalized. That is, all that we are cannot be brought to bear in all of our interactions with others because they have no connecting point of reference. How much of our 'self' is left behind for the sake of relationships? Who knows, but Simmel would think that there is a sort of built-in tension of individual and 'other' in every interaction that we have.
It is kind of funny, but in order to keep up with the 'book' photo project, I think I may need to start taking pictures with piles of books in them...
Read American Evangelicalism if you are into a) Evangelical movement, b) extension/fine-tuning of rational choice theory, c) subculture identity construction. Read Acts of Faith if you are into a) rational choice/economic models of religion. Am just getting into Simmel today, so not sure on that one yet....
Monday, October 12, 2009
In a Tight Little World
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
How many relationships are left behind for the sake of "self"?
So true. On the flip side, what would a relationship be if it is not between individual people (because they had to leave a part of who they are out of the interaction)?
Or, maybe he was just bitter he was an outsider, too.
Umm, I feel a little unacademic and unthoughtful in that my favorite part of this picture and post is the little squirrel from Ice Age that we got in the cereal box sitting amongst the books :)
For once I understand what you are talking about, and I actually agree. Living a bicultural life really illustrates what Simmel was saying. That's all I got.
Post a Comment