Sunday, September 19, 2010

Salted-caramel, Solid chocolate

From Photostream

On Friday night we went over to a friend's place to celebrate her birthday and so Sara and I made the cake above. It was awesome. It is a salter-caramel chocolate cake. It even has some kind of special salt - I had no idea that there were so many different kinds of salt out there!  We had a good time making it, although I think if we were to make it again/when we make it we will need to invest in a candy thermometer for the caramel to make knowing the temperature a bit easier.  We found something online that said you could put it into ice water and then feel the consistency of it, but let's face it - it is a bad thing to allow people like Sara and I to cook something rather specific like that through a guesswork method.  Still, it turned out.

Then to follow up on a food weekend, yesterday we stopped at this little hamburger shack on the side of the road and I got an awesome burger.  It had avocados and even refried beans and a tostada shell on it (yep, we even make tex-mex hamburgers down here).  Like I told Sara, I knew it was going to be a good day when I started it off with a hamburger like that.  Then I lost my wallet in the trash can.

2 comments:

Krista said...

YUM! (To the cake...not the burger.)

HAHA! (To the wallet...good work!)

aaron said...

what?! the burger was awesome.