Thursday, March 18, 2010

The problem of belonging

I am not sure if this is a part of our generation, or our phase of our generation's life, but I think we have an interesting problem of belonging. We struggle to make connections with our direct community (that is, those linked to us through spacial relations - live close by, work with us, so on).

For example, sara and I typically go to one church where we don't know anyone and no one knows us. At the start some people came up and met us, asked for our numbers, and said we should have dinner together an what not. At first this sounded great - they were nice and maybe we could be friends. Turns out this didn't happen and I think they generally were nice people, but they were looking to create a welcoming church and not looking to make friends. After all, I am sure they already had some. Somewhere.

In addition to this we go (kind of) to this home bible study that is from a different church. There we don't really fit in too well with the people, but thought they must be cool because the church is interested in doing cool things (like be active in their community). Here, too, we seem to be unable to make connections.

All of this being said, we are almost completely unattached to the things that we are a 'part' of. We are freeloaders of the things they have to offer. We use their chairs for church, we use their cool/warm building as we listen to them talk/sing during the services - we sap vitality by not being actively engaged members. Our mere inactive presence makes, however small the amount, their general vitality decrease.

Three interesting things likely play into this. One, older generations tend to have a smaller radius of interaction. That is, they tend to shop closer to their home, have friends closer to their home, go to church closer to their home, and so on. Sometimes this difference is a little bit less pronounced in suburban places because everyone is a bit less concentrated in what they do. But, all in all, we tend to look less around us for the things we need. Second, we are much more likely to have multi-layered relationships to things. The first thing that I think of is church. It used to be that you went to one church, were committed to that church, and were active in that church. It is a bit more common now to go to different churches for different things and to be generally less involved in all of them. Naturally this leads to a decrease in general community and connectedness.

Third is the rule of homophily. People tend to seek out and relate to people similar to their self. When thrust into a situation where there are fewer people who are like you, you will likely interact and relate to them less. Maybe this also plays into why crazy people like us go to different church things with different churches and are generally still not involved. An interacting issue that plays into this also is the evolution of communication. It used to be that if you wanted any kind of interaction you would have to accept an increased number of deviations from your ideal 'type' of person to talk to (again, we like those like us). But now with cell phones, video chat, email, text messaging, facebook, and so on, we are able to cling to more homophilous relationships - even when those relationships are not ideal as far as spacial considerations go. We don't know our neighbors, but we sure do enjoy facebook-stalking people we have not talked to in years (some people probably do this more than others, but you know what I am saying).

All of this being said, many of us have a problem of belonging. It seems like I have heard more of my friends talk about not knowing many people or not having friends more lately and it just got me to thinking a bit. I hope that we all can become more 'embedded' in our communities (in a spacial sense), but I am a bit skeptical that this will ever happen to the extent that our parents have experienced. Or maybe some of our parents don't have it either and we just complain more. Who knows, but belonging seems to be so much harder work now than it used to be...

And nice work if you made it this far. :)

7 comments:

Hannah said...

i really appreciate this post, aaron. And I really miss you guys.

Kyle said...

interesting thoughts and observations... It's almost as if you are working on a PHD in sociology of religion or something... :D

aaron said...

I am glad, Hannah - never sure with posts like these. :) We miss you guys a ton, too.

ha - yes, Kyle, admittedly some recent reading is evident here...

Krista said...

Blah...this is the story of my life...good thing I have crazy friends like you who together share my disconnectedness so I can at least have SOMEthing in common with SOMEone...I feel so connected to you right now...

Karen Franzen said...

Don't you thing part of it is the amount of times you relocate? Your generation is more transiant I think. It makes being connected more challenging and the sense of belonging harder. I don't know if I could do the taking parts of churches that I like. I wouldn't feel like I could really get involved or have the feeling of fellowship with other believers. It has to be hard though for you to get connected. I don't envy you at all. Do any of the churches have a young adults group? Most churches are really weak in that area, ours sure is.

aaron said...

Yeah, I was thinking about the transient problem as possibly just being a part of our generation. One church does have a young adult bible study that we went to for a few weeks, and the other mostly just has the home bible study groups. One day we will figure it out.... maybe.

Ashley said...

Aaron, this is a great read!

We have a common ground. Although we work and play in the same area where we moved and have lived for many years, it's harder to adapt than we had first thought. Our friends are our co-workers and outside of that where do we go? You chose church as your connecting force, while we use our neighbors. We have neighbors accross the street who don't say a word,not a hello, not a smile. Then we have the neighbors next door who at times won't leave you alone because they are so friendly. But we have a difficult time finding that happy medium. While we attend church, it seems to be all older crowds that don't step outside their social networking box (is how i put it. They have older childeren and different activities in life.
We are finding that we are at an age where jobs aren't set, homes aren't set and sometimes their lives aren't yet where we are, or they are beyond where we stand.

So it was easy to relate to this post! Keep them coming!