Just as I was about to put this picture up I realized that I tend to have a fair amount of pictures with beer in them. Oh well. I am alright with that.
I just finished up 2 out of 3 big papers at the end of the semester here and thought that deserved a little bit of a break and a quick post.
One nice thing about working from home is that beer can keep me company. Besides the fact that drinking at a place of work is typically frowned upon, my place of 'work' is a Baptist institution and word on the street is that they don't even allow dancing on campus (in an officially sanctioned kind of a way, I assume).
I know that in general I can be a bit of a weird person, but one weird thing about me is how I write papers. Typically, by the time that I sit down at the computer to write a paper it is already essentially all written out in my mind and it only needs to be materialized with the help of my friend Word. But, it is getting to this point that is the most painful.
Sometimes I know what I want to write about and it is all fairly smooth and quick, other times this is not the case. It took me almost a solid month to think about the basic idea, direction, and argument for my theory paper. It took me almost two full days to chose the variables I would look at for the stats paper (how many hours a person works and how much welfare they receive). That is just to choose the variables to look at, too! For this last paper I have to write, it took me almost the entire semester, essentially, to think of what I would want to do.
The worst part in all of it is that it is typically the same each time. I get very frustrated that I don't know what I want to do, and this is made worse by the fact that in the past it has worked out just fine. I mean really. There is no reason to think that just because in the past I was able to finally come up with some idea that it will happen again this time. Hence in the midst of the angst there is also no exit.
Anyways, there is another beer picture for you, and a small piece of my weirdness for you. Thanks for celebrating finishing up #2 with me.
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Clara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
congrats! one to go! keep up the good work!
you should title your blog "a location for most likely efficacious interaction."
btw, i think the SBC officially allowed dancing in the mid-90's, but their congregational church governance makes it vary widely. not sure what that means for institutions like Gaylor.
Yeah, just yesterday I heard that Baylor had dancing on campus once in the 90's and people freaked out. That would be funnier if I didn't work for a mission organization that forbids dancing...
Post a Comment