So I don't think I will ever take people's writing for granted anymore - especially more professional or academic writing. Each sentence has likely been written and re-written many, many times before it ever reaches the reader. I have a paper that has been through a few reviews by now and I have been writing and re-writing for over a year now. Each sentence has been read literally like a hundred or more times and most every sentence has been inserted, changed, removed, moved or any other combination so many times by now. It is interesting to think about whether or not the paper is still the same paper as it was when it started or not.
I can now see why people say that papers and books are never really finished, but are abandoned. There comes a certain point when you just get tired or reading, working on, or changing the thing and you just want to give up on it and move on. That is the point at which it is considered 'finished.' I think this one was 'finished' long ago but it still plagues me, ha....
No comments:
Post a Comment