Monday, October 3, 2011

a census tidbit

So right now I am doing some work with the US census and thought I would give you a tidbit. I am looking at regional differences in pay for those in some form of medical profession. One of the comparisons that I am doing is looking at those in 'pink' fields (traditionally jobs held by women) compared to others. In setting up the data to do that, I came across some interesting stuff.

- The least 'integrated' field of medicine is actually not physicians. The lowest rates of female professionals is in podiatry (22%), then dentists (24%), and finally chiropractors (25%).

- On the other hand, the lowest rates of male professionals is first dental assistants (3%), then the dental hygienists (3%), and finally the speech/language pathologists (5%).

Not sure what to think about some of those, but it is interesting that the highest male/female categories each relate to the dental profession. I wonder if this has a structural cause at all, meaning maybe there is something about the dental field that sorts people over and above the dreams and aspirations of the individuals. I bet that the field of physicians used to be like this before there was a stronger push for gender 'equality'. Maybe that has yet to reach the field of dentistry....?

No comments: