So apparently I am married to a leftist political philosophist Preacher?!?! While on vacation in Durango with Aaron's family a few weeks ago, Aaron got an email form a blogger who writes about religion and then had a phone interview with the guy. This guy (David Briggs) then wrote a blog about Aaron's Master's thesis and its findings. He has been getting a few random emails from various people around the country who have read the blog post and had some questions, but now things have exploded after the article was published on the Huffington Post today.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-briggs/frequent-bible-reading-ti_b_897017.html. There are currently 454 comments. One that one of Aaron's colleagues found is below and is quite entertaining.
"Who is Aaron Franzen? Christ teaches us in the Bible to “love God with all our hearts, with all our soul, with all our mind and with all our strength and to love our neighbor as our self”. He doesn’t teach that we are to follow a leftist political philosophy of getting even with “whitey” for slavery. What Franzen preaches is leftist politics not Holy Scripture."
The comments are interesting and many disheartening. Some encouraging, some downright angering or mean, and some entertaining. Mentioned in the comment above - I'm pretty sure that Aaron is not 'preaching' anything, but simply stating what he found when comparing different issues with level of Bible reading. Many don't seem to understand the findings in a correlational study. I was talking to one of my friends a week ago about Aaron's paper - she said she thought the findings were refreshing, that you would hope people that read the Bible more would be more into social justice and being more open to science and religion being compatible and such. I totally agree with her and think it is sad to see so many close-minded comments - both from Christians and obviously non-Christians.
Regardless, I am very proud of him and think it is fascinating how much interest the article has provoked! Check out the article link!
2 comments:
That's pretty crazy. You're really making the big time now Stranzen. I look forward to talking with you about your study. I agree with your friend that it is refreshing to hear that seeking justice and reading the bible are positively correlated. How any Christian can believe that justice is an evil political idea is beyond me.
Preach on!
I look forward to talking with you about this stuff too. Something about it all really catches people's attention, that much is for sure.
Post a Comment